Join us on Wednesday, November 3, 2021, for a Triage Cancer Insurance & Finance Intensive.
This comprehensive, in-person workshop, is a certificate program for nurses, social workers, other oncology health care professionals and advocates on health and disability insurance and finances, to improve patient and caregiver access to valuable information about these legal and practical cancer survivorship issues.
Introduction to Cancer-Related Legal Issues, Cancer Survivorship, & Advocacy
1) Outline how health care professionals can engage in various types of advocacy and encourage patients to be advocates.
9:25am - 10:15am
Overview & History of the U.S. Health Care System
1) Outline the different theories of health care systems. 2) Explain the various elements of a health insurance policy. 3) Define terms used in a health insurance policy.
10:15am – 10:30am
10:30am - 12:00pm
Employer-Sponsored & Individual Health Insurance
1) Outline the various individual and employer-sponsored health insurance options available to patients. 2) Describe consumer protections included in various federal and state laws. 3) Explain the health insurance appeals process.
12:00pm - 12:30pm
12:30pm - 1:15pm
Employer-Sponsored & Individual Health Insurance (continued)
1:15pm - 2:00pm
Government-Sponsored Health Insurance
1) Describe eligibility differences for Medicare and Medicaid. 2) Outline steps patients can take to appeal a claim denial for Medicare and Medicaid. 3) Identify resources for patients to learn more about accessing Medicare and Medicaid.
2:00pm – 2:15pm
2:15pm - 4:10pm
Navigating Disability Insurance & Appeals
1) Outline how FMLA can be useful to patients. 2) Articulate how disability insurance can be useful to someone who can no longer work, temporarily or permanently, as a result of a cancer diagnosis. 3) Explain how disability insurance works with other leave laws.
4:10pm - 4:25pm
Managing Finances After Cancer & Accessing Financial Assistance
1) Outline practical tools and tips for rebuilding financial health after a cancer diagnosis. 2) Identify financial assistance options available to pay for health care & other expenses.
4:25pm - 4:30pm
Nurses: Triage Cancer is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Nurses who meet the requirements will be awarded 6 contact hours.
360 minutes of instruction/60 minutes = 6 contact hours
Social Workers: Triage Cancer, #1689, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Triage Cancer maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 08/26/2020 to 08/26/2023. Social workers completing this course receive 6 continuing education credit.
Triage Cancer is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0626. Social Workers completing this course will receive 6 contact hours.
This course, Insurance & Finance Intensive , Approval #200708-1642, provided by Triage Cancer is approved for continuing education by the New Jersey Social Work Continuing Education Approval Collaborative, which is administered by NASW-NJ. CE Approval Collaborative Approval Period: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 through August 31, 2022. New Jersey social workers will receive 6 General CE credits for participating in this course.
Patient Advocates: Triage Cancer (Provider Code BCPA-ACE2004) 2021 ‘Insurance & Finance Intensive’ is approved for 7 CEs by the Patient Advocate Certification Board to satisfy the requirements for Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA). Program Approval Code 18115.
HR Professionals: Triage Cancer is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Developmental Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 6 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org
Requirements: In order to receive CEs/Contact Hours, attendees must physically sign in when they arrive, return a completed evaluation, and sign out when they leave. Additionally, attendees who successfully complete a post-test with a passing grade (80%) will also receive the American Cancer Society/Triage Cancer Certificate of Financial Navigation. The relevant certificates will be emailed to eligible attendees approximately 4 weeks after the event.
Questions about Triage Cancer’s accreditation can be made by phone at 424.456.4628 or via email at CEU@TriageCancer.org. Complaints may be filed via fax (424) 258-7064, email CEU@TriageCancer.org or by mail to 6348 N. Milwaukee Ave., #136, Chicago, IL 60646.