20 Apr Reclaiming Intimacy & Sexual Wellness
In today's guess post, learn about a underdiscussed challenge that often accompanies a cancer diagnosis and treatment, sexual health. Please note that Triage Cancer is not endorsing any products or services included below. This blog is being presented for educational purposes only and should not be substituted for medical or other professionals services.
Sexual wellness and dysfunction issues are some of the most reported issues for those facing a cancer or illness journey, and those are the very issues often left out of the plan for survivorship and whole healing. Reclaiming Intimacy is an organization that focuses on all aspects of sexual health, sexual wellness, and sexual dysfunction by providing resources, therapeutic aids, educational services and personal intimacy and wellness guides for patients, their friends and family, and medical care providers who need them.
“Studies suggest that sexual dysfunction is one of the most common and distressing consequences of treatment, affecting between 50-90% of adult survivors, depending on type of treatment.” Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Reclaiming Intimacy works to break the taboo of discussing intimacy and sexuality in the medical community, and strives to provide patients holistic options, therapies, and resources to help them to reconnect with themselves, their bodies, and within their relationships. Their goal is to become the resource used for patients and medical staff to reach out to when guidance on intimacy and sexuality is needed.
Both men and women face varying issues with sexual dysfunction throughout their lives. Some of the most common female centered issues are vaginal atrophy, vaginal pain, and extreme dryness. For males, those common issues are erectile dysfunction, loss of ability, and painful intercourse. Many people also face loss of libido, lack of desire, the inability to orgasm (or anorgasmia), incontinence, and relationship disconnect.
Their experts are knowledgeable with years of experience with adult sexual education, product knowledge and share a passion for helping others reclaim their intimacy needs, and lives.
Some of the services offered by Reclaiming Intimacy include:
- Educational Courses. These courses are designed to educate, empower, and guide patients and medical professionals on better ways to address sexual dysfunction and wellness issues in life and within relationships. The courses are available via pre-scheduled Zoom webinar dates, private Zoom webinars, or offered via online course to be taken in the privacy of your own home, at your own pace. Courses offered are:
- Reclaiming Life: Breast & Chest Cancer Focus
- Reclaiming Life: Men’s Cancer & Illness Focus
- Reclaiming Life: Women’s Cancer & Illness Focus
- Maintaining the Caregiver’s Calm
- Reclaiming Our Relationship
- Reclaiming the Self
- Coming Later in 2021: Chronic Illness & Intimacy
- Therapeutic Aids. Reclaiming Intimacy offers therapeutic aids, products and devices for both men and women that aid in the recovery of sexual ability and provide support to help patients reclaim their intimacy needs. Some of the therapeutic aids available are vaginal dilators and Kegel exercisers, breast prosthesis forms, natural lubrications & moisturizers, vacuum pump systems, support and enhancement rings, along with prostate massage kits. Some of these products may even be covered by your medical insurance plan.
- Personal Intimacy & Wellness Guides. These free wellness guides are created just for you, with your setbacks, goals, and issues in mind. These guides offer a plan to help restore intimacy in whatever way you need, plus offers tips, tricks, and information to empower you to take back control of your sexual wellness.
- Partnerships & Outreach. Reclaiming Intimacy also works on partnering with many organizations nationwide that handle patient care, especially those focusing on cancer, long-term & chronic illness, and sexual dysfunction. Varying levels of partnership are available and linking organizations to broaden resource lists for patients is welcomed. Partnering with Reclaiming Intimacy ensures that staff is up to date on these issues and know how to have these important conversations with their patients.
- Memberships. Memberships are extended for those who purchase a service or therapeutic aid from Reclaiming Intimacy, or those organizations that partner with them. Memberships give access to all website content, printed materials, exclusive videos, pro-chat talks, Members Only activities and more.
If you find yourself struggling with intimacy or sexual dysfunction before, during or after your medical treatment, or at any point in life, do not hesitate to reach out to Reclaiming Intimacy’s team for guidance and help to get back on track.
By Jen Fecher is Director of Educational Services at Reclaiming Intimacy, an organization at the forefront of promoting sexual health & rehabilitation for cancer survivors. Learn more at https://www.reclaimingintimacy.org.