4. Follow up with the hospital
You can call the hospital a few days after you send in your application, to make sure that they have received it. If they ask for more documents, make sure to send them within a few days.
You will probably hear from your hospital in about 3 to 4 weeks with a decision about your application. They may email, call, or send a letter, so keep an eye out for any messages they send you. If you do not hear from the hospital you can call the financial assistance department to check in. Here is what you can say:
“Hi. My name is ________ and my date of birth is ________. I sent in my financial application on ______ (the date you sent it in). Can you confirm you received my application and share the status?”
Here are more questions you can ask
If they are still reviewing your application
- When will the review be completed? Do you need anything else from me to complete your review?
If they have approved your application:
- Will you be sending me a confirmation letter?
- If the bill is in collections, can you confirm that the debt collector will be notified?
If they say you need to send more information:
- What exactly do you need? Is there a deadline to submit it? How should I submit it?
If they say your application was denied:
- Why? Can I reapply or appeal with other information? Is partial assistance an option?
If they say it has been turned over to collections:
- When was it turned to collections? Is financial assistance still an option?