Health Insurance State Laws:
No Surprises Act
This chart indicates whether the federal or state process is used by each state for disputes related to medical billing under the federal No Surprises Act. Note that some states used a mixed system where the system used depends on the type of complaint. Use the links in the chart to be directed to the complaint system chosen by your state for consumer complaints. Check back often, as this chart is updated frequently.
If you have a self-funded plan, certain state laws may not apply. For information on how to determine if your plan is self-funded, see our blog post.
If you don't find what you're looking for, see our other Charts of Health Insurance State Laws:
- Health Insurance Options
- Navigating Health Insurance
- Breast & Cervical Cancer Screening & Treatment
- Colorectal Cancer Screening & Treatment
- Prostate Cancer Screening & Treatment
- Co-Pay Accumulator Programs
- Prior Authorizations
- Step Therapy
- Fertility Services
- Biomarker Testing
- Military Coverage of Cancer-Related Care