30 Aug Urgent Update for Renters: End of the National Eviction Ban
If you are one of the 11 million Americans having trouble paying rent, you should know you are no longer protected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s ban on evictions.
This ban would have been in effect until October 3rd, if it hadn’t been struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court last week. In some states, more than 25% of renters are behind on their payments.
You still have options if you worried about paying rent or the possibility of eviction, including emergency rental and utilities assistance. Find state and local emergency rental assistance programs here.
If an eviction lawsuit has been filed against you, you may qualify for free or low-cost legal help. Find legal assistance in your area here.
It is also important to know that you may be protected by a state, county, or city eviction ban. For example, California and Washington have eviction protections that end September 30, while New York state extended protections against evictions to January. New Mexico's state supreme court has halted evictions with no current end date.
For more information on your options for keeping your current housing, visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
About Triage Cancer
Triage Cancer is a national, nonprofit providing free education to people diagnosed with cancer, caregivers, and health care professionals on cancer-related legal and practical issues. Through events, materials, and resources, Triage Cancer is dedicated to helping people move beyond diagnosis. For information about other financial assistance options, visit CancerFinances.org.
Similar Posts You May Like To Read:
- How COVID-19 Policy Helps the Cancer Community
- New Details: Free Insurance, Housing Protections Ending, State News, & More
- Moving and Medicaid: New State, New Rules
- News You Need: Free Health Insurance, New Medicare Benefit, Biomarker Testing Coverage, & State Updates
- Paid Leave for Caregivers
- News You Need: Help with Insurance, Social Security, & Student Loans
- How Will the Latest Happenings in Capitals and Federal Courts Impact Cancer Survivors?
- News You Need: Help with Medical Debt, Insurance, & More