Delaware Resources


This page has information specific to this state, including contact information for federal and state agencies, and some key information about laws and consumer protections. Sometimes, state laws are more protective than federal law. For more information on this state's specific laws (e.g., on employment or health insurance), visit Triage Cancer's Charts of State Laws.


Disability Insurance

Federal Disability Programs

Private Disability Insurance

  • You can also purchase short-term and/or long-term disability insurance directly from a private insurance company or this type of insurance may be offered by your employer as an employee benefit. See our Quick Guide to Long-Term Disability Insurance for more information.


Federal Fair Employment

  • The U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission (EEOC) is responsible for enforcing federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, transgender status, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information. The laws apply to all types of work situations, including hiring, firing, promotions, harassment, training, wages, and benefits. For more information about the EEOC, including how to file a complaint, visit the EEOC's websitecall 800.669.4000, or email
  • The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is a program funded by the U.S. Department of Labor, that provides free, expert, and confidential guidance on job accommodations and disability employment issues. They also have several resources on how to approach an employer to request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and a Searchable Online Accommodation Resource where individuals can find suggested accommodations based on job duties or limitations that they are experiencing. For more information, visit the JAN website, call 800.526.7234, or email

State Fair Employment

  • To learn more about your state's fair employment laws, including information about discrimination in the workplace and how to file a complaint, visit the Delaware Division of Human and Civil Rights website, or call 302.577.5287.

State Unemployment

Vocational Rehabilitation

  • Your state's Vocational Rehabilitation agency provides vocational rehabilitation services that are designed to help job seekers with disabilities obtain competitive employment in integrated work settings. For more information on their services, eligibility requirements, and how to apply, visit the Department of Labor, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.

More Information

Employment – Taking Time Off

State Family & Medical Leave (for self & for caregivers)

  • Who’s eligible? Beginning January 1, 2026, most individuals who work for an employer with 10 or more employees will have access to parental leave. Individuals who work for an employer with 25 or more employees will have access to leave to care for their own or a family member’s serious medical condition. Employees must work for their employer for one year and at least 1,250 hours in the past 12 months to be eligible.
  • Who can be cared for? Parental leave will be within one year of the birth, adoption, or placement of a child through foster care. A family member with a serious medical condition. A family member includes a parent, child, or spouse.
  • How much time is given? Up to 12 weeks
  • How much is paid? Up to 80% of your average weekly wage and job-protected leave.
  • How do I apply? Benefits do not begin until January 1, 2026.
  • Helpful Resources: Healthy Delaware Families Act

State Paid Family Leave (for caregivers)

  • Some states have paid family leave which also benefits caregivers. Beginning January 1, 2026, the Healthy Delaware Families Act provides for paid leave as described above.

State Paid Sick Leave (for self)

  • Some states have paid sick leave.
  • Some states have kinship laws that allow you to use your sick leave to care for a child. Delaware does not currently have a kinship law.

State Paid General Leave (for any reason)

  • Some states provide general paid leave. Delaware does not currently have a general leave law.

State Bone Marrow Donation Leave

  • Some states provide leave to donate bone marrow. Delaware does not currently have a law that applies to private employers.

County & Local Leave

  • Some cities and counties have additional leave laws.

Workplace Leave Policies or Employment Contracts

  • Everyone’s situation is different. Check your employee handbook, your workplace policies, and/or your employment contract (if you have one) to see whether you are eligible to take paid or unpaid time off from work.

More Information


For information on financial assistance resources, you can visit the Financial Assistance Resources module at You can then pick from the different categories of financial assistance, to find organizations that may provide financial help to you. Think creatively. For example, if you cannot find anything to help with your medical bills, you may qualify for utility assistance and shift the money you had dedicated to utilities to your medical bills.

Health Care

Health Insurance Information

Health Insurance Options

  • For information about options for buying health insurance from private insurance companies, as well as whether you are eligible for marketplace financial assistance, visit the Choose Health Delaware website.
  • COBRA provides a way for workers and their families to temporarily maintain their employer-provided health insurance during situations such as job loss or a reduction in hours worked. If you have questions about COBRA, visit the Employee Benefits Security Administration website or call 1.866.444.3272.
Children's Health Insurance
  • Visit this site to learn about the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) (Delaware Healthy Children Program, 800.372.2022), which provides low-cost health coverage to children in families that earn too much money to be eligible for Medicaid.
  • Visit to learn about free or low-cost health and dental insurance coverage options for kids and teens.
More Information

Health Insurance Appeals

  • If your health insurance company has denied coverage for your care, you can appeal that decision. The process depends on the type of health insurance that you have. Visit the Health Insurance Appeals module on to learn more about appeals.
  • If you have private health insurance (e.g., through an employer or the Marketplace), you can also file an external appeal with an entity outside of your insurance company, to see if the insurance company is required to cover your care. The external review process is either handled by the state’s insurance agency or the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Visit our Chart of State Laws on Health Insurance Coverage & Navigation to see who runs the external appeals process in your state.


  • Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain younger people with disabilities, and people with End-Stage Renal Disease or ALS. For information about Medicare, to create a personal account where you can view your Medicare information, and to learn about plan options, visit, or call 800.MEDICARE (800.633.4227)
  • Download a copy of Medicare's handbook, “Medicare & You.”
  • For help navigating Medicare, contact the Delaware Medicare Assitance Bureau (800.434.0222).
  • For more information, visit Triage Cancer's Medicare Topics Page.


Early & Periodic Screening, Diagnostic, & Treatment (EPSDT)
  • The EPSDT benefit is a Medicaid benefit available to individuals under the age of 21.
  • States are required to provide comprehensive services needed to correct and ameliorate health conditions, including:
    • Early: Assess and identify problems early, starting at birth
    • Periodic: Check children’s health at periodic, age-appropriate intervals in comprehensive well-child visits, including health education
    • Screening: Provide physical, dental, mental, developmental, hearing, vision, and other screening or laboratory tests to detect potential problems
    • Diagnosis: Perform diagnostic tests and assessments to follow up when a risk is identified during screening and examinations
    • Treatment: Control, correct, or ameliorate any problems that are found
  • States are required to provide any additional health care services that are coverable under the federal Medicaid program and found to be medically necessary to treat, correct or reduce illnesses and conditions discovered regardless of whether the service is covered in a state's Medicaid plan. State Medicaid agencies are required to:
    • Inform all Medicaid-eligible individuals under age 21 that EPSDT services are available and of the need for age-appropriate immunizations;
    • Offer and provide, if requested and necessary, assistance with transportation to medical care.
    • Offer and provide, if requested and necessary, assistance with scheduling appointments for EPSDT visits and services.
  • Learn more about your state's program.
Children's Health Insurance
  • Visit this site to learn about the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) (Delaware Healthy Children Program, 800.372.2022), which provides low-cost health coverage to children in families that earn too much money to be eligible for Medicaid.
  • Visit to learn about free or low-cost health and dental insurance coverage options for kids and teens.
In-Home Support Services (IHSS)
More Medicaid Resources

Free or Low-Cost Health Care

  • For a list of Hill-Burton Federally Funded Health Centers that are obligated to provide free or reduced-cost health care, visit the Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) website.
  • Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) are community-based health care providers that provide primary care services in underserved areas. To search for an FQHC in your state, use the Find a Health Center tool on the HRSA website.
  • To find a community clinic in your area: screenings and services in your area, visit the National Association of Free & Charitable Clinics website.
  • The National Breast & Cervical Cancer Treatment Program (NBCCEDP) provides breast and cervical cancer screenings and diagnostic services to women who have low incomes and are uninsured or underinsured. For more information about screenings and services in your area, use the CDC search tool.
  • The Breast & Cervical Cancer Treatment Program (BCCTP) provides cancer treatment benefits to eligible low-income individuals diagnosed with breast and/or cervical cancer. For more information, visit the Delaware Department of Public Health website.

Health Care Programs & Laws

Women's Health & Cancer Rights Act (WHCRA)
State Clinical Trials Law

Del. Code Ann. Tit. 18, §§ 3351, 3567

  • Who must cover the costs? All health insurance policies delivered or issued in the state, including those issued by a health service corporation as well as group or blanket insurance policies.
  • What must be covered? Routine patient care costs associated with clinical trials, including items or services otherwise generally available to the patient through the insurance outside of the clinical trial context
  • Requirements for Coverage: The trial must not be designed to test solely for toxicity or disease pathophysiology. Rather, the trial must have a therapeutic intent and enroll patients with diagnosed disease and the purpose of the trial must be to test whether intervention could improve the participant’s health. The trial must be supported by scientific information or must intend to clarify/establish health outcomes of interventions already used.
  • Qualifying Trials: The clinical trial must be approved or funded by (1) NIH, (2) NIH cooperative group or center, (3) U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs, (4) U.S. Dept. of Defense, (5) IRB, or (6) a qualified research entity that meets certain NIH Center Support criteria.

(Last update 8/2022)

More Health Insurance Resources


  • The Delaware Division of Human and Civil Rights enforces state fair housing laws. For more information, or if you think you have experienced housing discrimination, visit the Fair Housing Information Center or call 800.884.1684.
  • For more information, visit our Cancer Finances module on Housing Rights & Financial Help.

State Cancer Information


  • Local transit systems may provide free or discounted rates for low-income individuals and families. Some cities also offer bus passes, vouchers for taxi or ride-sharing services, or shuttle services for patients traveling to cancer treatments.
  • Dial 211 for assistance.