Washington Resources

This page has information specific to this state, including contact information for federal and state agencies, and some key information about laws and consumer protections.

To find financial assistance resources, please visit CancerFinances.org.

Click here for information about laws specific to Washington.


Disability Insurance

Federal Disability Insurance (SSDI & SSI)
Social Security Administration

Find your local SSA office

More Disability Resources


How to File Bankruptcy in Washington for Free

Filing bankruptcy can be an effective way to eliminate medical bills and credit card debt among other kinds of erasable debts.


Federal Fair Employment Agency
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Reasonable Accommodations
Job Accommodation Network

Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
U.S. Department of Labor
Wage & Hour Division

State Fair Employment Agency
Washington State Human Rights Commission

State Paid Family Leave
Employment Security Department, Washington State

Vocational Rehabilitation
Washington State Department of Health & Social Services, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
360.725.3636 or 800.637.5627

More Employment Resources

Unemployment Resources

Unemployment Agency
Washington State Employment Security Department

Agency: Washington Employment Security Department

Information and filing available here.  Click here to see the current weekly benefit amount and the maximum length of benefits. Payment is available via debit card or direct deposit. Most claimants will be required to conduct three job search activities per week to maintain eligibility for benefits. Job search activities must be recorded in a verifiable log. Claimants may also be required to appear in person at a job search center appointment. A comprehensive guidebook is available. Customer service can be reached by phone: 833-572-8400 for general questions and 800-318-6022 for open claims.

Updates related to Washington unemployment benefits and Covid-19

State Clinical Trials Law

The ACA requires that most, non-grandfathered, group health plans provide coverage for the routine costs when participating in clinical trials. Some states have more consumer protections. Click here for more information about clinical trials.

This state does not mandate insurers or HMOs doing business in state to cover routine patient costs associated with clinical trials. (Verified 1/2011)

Chapter 284-43

Paid Family Sick Leave

  • Who’s eligible? All employees who have worked at least 820 hours in four out of five quarters prior to leave application. Self-employed individuals and independent contractors can opt in to the program.
  • Who can be cared for? A family member with a serious health condition or to care for own serious health condition. Family member includes a child, parent, spouse, domestic partner, grandchild, grandparent, or sibling.
  • How much time is given? Up to 12 weeks.
  • How much is paid? The amount of benefits paid is calculated based on the individual’s average weekly wage, with a maximum payment of $1,000/week. This maximum limit is adjusted annually to 90% of the state average weekly wage.
  • How do I apply? Online or with a paper application requested from paidleave@esd.wa.gov or by phone at (833) 717-2273