Connecticut Resources

This page has information specific to this state, including contact information for federal and state agencies, and some key information about laws and consumer protections.

To find financial assistance resources, please visit CancerFinances.org.

Click here for information about laws specific to Connecticut.


Disability Insurance

Federal Disability Insurance (SSDI & SSI)
Social Security Administration

Find your local SSA office

More Disability Resources


How to File Bankruptcy in Connecticut for Free

Filing bankruptcy can be an effective way to eliminate medical bills and credit card debt among other kinds of erasable debts.

National Foundation for Credit Counseling


Federal Fair Employment Agency
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Reasonable Accommodations
Job Accommodation Network

Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
U.S. Department of Labor
Wage & Hour Division

State Fair Employment Agency
Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities

Connecticut Paid Leave

Vocational Rehabilitation
Connecticut Bureau of Rehabilitation
Locate your office, and then call the number provided for more information.

More Employment Resources

Health Insurance

Connecticut Health Insurance Marketplace (a.k.a Exchange)
Access Health CT

Health Insurance Consumer Assistance Program & External Appeals 
Connecticut Office of the Healthcare Advocate

Connecticut Insurance Department
860.297.3800 or 800.203.3447

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration

Connecticut Department of Insurance
860.297.3800 or 800.203.3447

More Health Insurance Resources

Unemployment Resources

Unemployment Agency
Connecticut Department of Labor

Agency: Connecticut Department of Labor

File here. Claimants are advised of the importance of checking their email daily for updates after filing. For the weekly continued filing, go here.

Click here to see the current weekly benefit amount and the maximum length of benefits. There is a dependency allowance of $15/week for up to five children you support financially under the age of 18 (or under 21 if a student or physically or mentally disabled). It is also possible to claim a dependency allowance for your spouse under certain circumstances. Payment is available via direct deposit or a debit card.

A comprehensive guide is available here. A tutorial about how to apply is here. Assistance for claims is not available via phone, but you can call 860-9670493 or 203-941-6868 for general inquiries.

State Clinical Trials Law

Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. §§ 38a-483c, 38a-504a – 38a-504g, 38a-513b, 38a-542a – 38a-542g

Who must cover the costs? Individual and group health insurance plans

What must be covered? Routine patient care costs associated with cancer clinical trials. the insurer may require documentation of the likelihood of therapeutic benefit, informed consent, protocol information and test results, and/or a summary of the costs involved.

Requirements for Coverage: Insurers must pay for routine patient costs only for Phase III clinical trials, that involve “therapeutic intervention,” and are conducted at multiple institutions.

Qualifying Trials: The clinical trial protocol must be reviewed & approved by (1) NIH, (2) NCI cooperative group, (3) U.S. F.D.A. in the form of an investigational new drug application, (4) U.S. Dept. of Defense, or (5) U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs.

(Last update 8/2022)

State Leave Laws

Paid Family Leave

Connecticut passed paid family leave legislation in 2019 and benefits are available as of January 1, 2022.

  • Who’s eligible? All private sector employees. Self-employed individuals and state/local collective bargaining units can opt in. Employees must also have earned at least $2,325 from one or more employers during the highest-earning quarter of the base period and have been employed by an employer in the previous 12 weeks before the claim.
  • Who can be cared for? A family member with a serious health condition or an employee’s own serious health condition. Paid leave is also available for an employee serving as an organ or bone marrow donor. “Family member” is defined broadly and includes a child, parent, parent-in-law, spouse, grandparent, grandchild, sibling or another person who is related to an employee by blood or affinity whose close association the employee shows to be the equivalent of a family relationship.
  • How much time is given? 12 weeks.
  • How much is paid? The amount paid depends on the employee’s base pay. If the employee is paid less than or equal to Connecticut’s minimum wage, they will receive 95% of the worker’s average weekly wage. If the employee earns more than minimum wage, they will receive 95% of minimum wage + 60% of the worker’s wage that exceeds the Connecticut minimum wage. The maximum that can be received is equal to 60 times the Connecticut minimum wage.
  • How do I apply? Visit Connecticut Paid Leave for more information.

Paid Sick Leave

Connecticut passed a law providing for paid sick leave, effective January 1, 2012. The law applies to all employers with over 50 employees. Under Connecticut law, employees must earn at least one hour of paid sick leave for every 40 hours worked; however, an employee cannot use more than 40 hours of paid sick leave in a year. Any unused accrued hours roll over to the next year, subject to the 40-hour maximum. Employers who offer their own paid leave policy that is comparable to the law's requirements are not required to provide additional paid sick time under the law.

More information on Connecticut's paid sick leave law

For more information about leave laws in each state, see our chart on taking time off from work.